Friday, July 5, 2013

Review: With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent

Title: With All My Soul (Soul Screamers #7)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Source: Kat from Cuddlebuggery as part of LBBA
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon



What does it mean when your school is voted the most dangerous in America? It's time to kick some hellion butt...

After not really surviving her junior year (does "undead" count as survival?), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to find a way to turn the incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity against one another in order to protect her friends and finish this war, once and forever.

But then she meets Wrath and understands that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. And when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realizes she can't save everyone she loves without risking everything she has....
Review by Nara



**CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES**

I have the Aussie edition of With All My Soul, and I must admit, the "Twilight fans will love this!" on the cover wasn't exactly motivation for me to read the series. The first couple of books in the series were okay, but things got really good in the fifth one (which was of course where we got some action with Tod rather than Nash. Love Tod.)

Random general comment about the series: love the swirling iris thing. Such an interesting and swoony idea. I kind of want to see the series made into movies just to see the iris swirling.

In the series, we're presented with a very nice and well developed cast of characters. I quite like most of the supporting characters (except Sabine. Still think she's a bit of a bitch. At the same time, it's kind of refreshing to have a character that's just so unapologetically bitchy). We also finally get the whole Tod vs Nash thing sorted out which was a long time coming, seeing as though the brother drama got rather annoying after a while. I might be a bit weird, but I actually really liked Ira. He was pretty badass for a hellion. Won't mention any major events that go down for fear of spoilers, but basically, the guy isn't as bad as you'd expect.

In With All My Soul, you know that major events are going to go down. After Alec being killed indirectly by Avari, and Emma being directly killed by a hellion (can't remember whether that was also Avari), the whole series is leading up to a massive revenge fueled conclusion. And the book doesn't disappoint. SO MANY people got kidnapped/injured/lost that the pace is set at a ridiculous level. You seriously can't relax at any moment. It was pretty obvious that Kaylee was going to have to make some tough decisions, and make some tough decisions she did. I think that With All My Soul was a good conclusion to the series, but it wasn't quite as good as the fifth and sixth books. A bit too fairy tale ending for me, a bit too neat, I guess. (Then again, if things weren't neat and something absolutely horrendous happened, it'd be like RAGE).

So basically, if you've enjoyed the entire series so far, then With All My Soul will probably not disappoint.

Liked it

Ratings
Overall: 8/10
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 5/5





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I haven't started the series so would have to commit to reading the 6 books before this. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad series overall. Books 1-4 are okay, but starting from If I Die, the series is amazing :)

      Delete