Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bookish Survey: Cast a Harry Potter Spell

So, this is an AWESOME survey that Jasmine at Flip That Page thought of. Basically, you cast a Harry Potter spell on a book (the title was probs self explanatory, but whatever haha). Chantelle and I are going to do this chat style again, and we're just tackling the first half of the survey today. The second half will probably go up next week sometime.

Note: clicking on the images will take you to the Goodreads page.


Reparo- fixes damaged objects
A book that needs some serious fixing
N- There are definitely a lot of books that could go under this category…

C- HAHA I know right, seems a little harsh… but true, definitely true.

N- I’d like to put the entire genre of New Adult under this spell.

C- Omg. Can we? Pretty please! I saw Fangirl in the recommended ‘New Adult’ books section on Goodreads the other day, and it just looked so wrong - since it was ACTUALLY about being a uni student, and wasn't erotica.

N- I guess it’s technically NA, but it definitely isn't anything like the typical NA. Okay, since we have to choose just one, I'm going to go with Fallen Too Far. There seemed to be zero plot in that book, so yeah, I’d definitely say that it needs some fixing…

C- haha surprised you didn't go with Edge of Never… mega reparo on that ending.

N- Oh god, so true. But Fallen Too Far was mega reparo on the entire book, so that won out haha

C- HAHAHA touché my friend, touché. I think I’d choose The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley. I really enjoyed the first half, but then it kept dragging on and on, and the plot went a little cray cray. I think with a bit of editing, it could've been a lot better! Actually, that’s basically the case with nearly all of her works. I followed her for a while on Wattpad, and everything always started off fantastic, and then… wouldn't end, but not in the good way.

N- Ugh, that always happens in NA. Drama, drama, drama.

C- hahahhaha and then the same drama but in the male pov.

N- LOL oh man, so true.


Lumos- creates a narrow beam of light
A book that deserves more attention
C- Mmm I’m going to say Rainbow Rowell, I know she gets a lot of attention, but a lot of it recently is for E&P getting banned etc. and not because she’s friggin fantastic. In particular, Attachments does not have enough ratings for my liking. In a world where the Edge of Never has over 50, 000… Lumos Attachments.

N- So true! Not many people have read Attachments! Incidentally, we at Looking for the Panacea, along with Eve from PaperGrey and Em from Fluttereal Flight are going to be hosting a Rainbow Rowell read-a-thon in December! EVERYONE SHOULD JOIN #shamelessplug. Anyway, I’m going to say either of my sci-fi Panacea Candidates. Earth Girl and Partials are both really amazing books, but neither of them get enough attention methinks!


Nox- counters the effects of Lumos
An overhyped book

N- I might go for the Divergent series for this one. People rave on and on about it, but I personally didn't think it was THAT good. It was certainly enjoyable enough, but not as good as I expected.

C- SAY THAT TO MY FACE!

N- I HAVE BRO

C- hahaha the first one was really that good though, well I absolutely love it. I'm going to say Thief by Tarryn Fisher. I definitely over hyped it for myself, as it was the finale to her Love Me With Lies series, and yeah… it fell short.

N- It definitely wasn't the “bang” I was expecting.


Accio- summons an object from a significant distance
A book you’re anticipating
C- Well, it WAS Allegiant, but that arrived… so Accio Champion by Marie Lu!!! GIMMEEEE

N- hahahaha. *grabby hands* I just have so many….but I’ll just say Ignite Me, because that’s a series finale and I want to know who Juliette ends up with. But wait, Blood of Olympus. GAHHH! I WANTS THEM ALL.

C- Nara, yours all come out next year!!! *cue depression*

N - :( But on the plus side, The Fiery Heart! Comes out next month. The 19th to be precise :D

C- OMG ACCIO TFIOS MOVIE!!! YES YES YES! ACCIOOOOO

N- Although not a book, YESSSSSSSS!


Expecto Patronum- conjures an incarnation of positive feelings
A book that made you cry, or at least want to

N- TFIOS. lol.

C- Definitely! Also, Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma had me crying like a crazy woman.

N- haha. Also, more recently, Allegiant made me want to cry, but I didn't actually cry. As in, it made me feel sad. DAT ENDING.

C- *PUNCH* YOU KNOW I HAVEN’T FINISHED ALLEGIANT YET

N- Sorry man! I thought you already knew about the controversial ending. John Green tweeted about it, I think.

C- la la la la laaaa

N- Okay, I shall say no more.

C- :)


Morsmordre- conjures the Dark Mark
A book you wish to mark as one of your favorites

C- ATTACHMENTS!!!! I ardently love and admire it. You?

N- ……...THIS IS SO HARD. Oh wait, it says “ONE” of your favourites. That’s cool then. I’m going to say The House of Hades, the current book of the month. Also current book of the year :D

C- hahahhaha Nara’s in looooovee ;)

N- hehe


Petrificus Totalus- petrifies victim
A book you wish to keep forever

N- Well, I’d like to keep all the books I currently have forever. But in particular, definitely the Heroes of Olympus series. Of which I’d probably petrify The Lightning Thief, because it’s the start of everything :)

C- Yhe thought of any of my ‘favourites’ books disappearing is making me upset. BUT! I’ll petrify The Bronze Horseman because, somehow, it’s still in perfect condition. So if we can keep it that way for eternity, that’d be pretty awesome.

N- haha nice. That book is indeed in weirdly perfect condition lol.


Protego- shield charm
An intimidating book you keep putting off

C- Partials hahahha because you really like it, but it’s a lot of sci-fi, and you mostly want me to read the sequel

N- Yeah, the first one has hardly any romance, which I know you’re not the biggest fan of. The second has more though.

C- I’ll get to it these hols :D

N- Awesome. And I’m going to read Gone Girl. It’s not that this book is “intimidating” but I keep putting it off for some reason. I’m just never in the mood for it…

C- Yeah, doesn't help that I hype it up as well lol


Riddikulus- used against a boggart
A book with a deceiving synopsis

N- VAIN. FREAKING VAIN.

C- HAHAHHAHAHHAHA oh, this mystical ‘Vain’ you've told me about

N- You really don’t want to read it. Or you want to read it just to understand how horrible it is.

C- hahhaha maybe one day! I'm going to say Me Before You, maybe the synopsis wasn't that deceiving, but I must've skimmed it because the book came as a COMPLETE shock to me. In the end, I still loved it though. 


Lacarnum Inflamarae- shoots fireballs
A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely

C- Oh gosh, THE CHOICES! If I go by something more recent… Shooting Scars aka. Sins & Needles #2. First novel, great. Novella, even better. How did everything go so wrong… the writing was just… euuugghhh.

N- It’s always pretty disappointing when a series goes downhill…

C- Amen to that!

N- I'm going to twist this around a little, and say Harry Potter. Not because it was bad, but because I want to be able to experience its amazingness for the first time again.

C- oooooo cool idea. 


Wingardium Leviosa- levitates objects
A book you wish to reread

N- Can you guess my answer for this one? haha

C- Starts with Speech, ends with less?

N- ….maybe. hahaha

C- HAHAHA weeeell I feel like rereading The Night Circus, so I can break in my paperback haha

N- Nice one! I think I need to reread that as well, can’t remember much about it.

C- Except that it rocked your world right?! haha

N- I think I gave it 4 stars…

C- Get out.

N- Aww. Okay….

C- I'M KIDDING I LOVE YOU, but sort of a little less now…. haha okay jks jks but seriously, I fully support your choice to reread :D

N- In the holidays!


Avada Kedavra- causes instant death
Worst book EVER

C- Should we say it together?

N- Heck yes.

Together- PRINCE OF WOLVES!!!!!!!

N- Oh god, that was absolutely horrendous.

C- Our synchronisation or the book… hahahha

N- lol. But seriously, the book...ugh.

C- No doubt some of the new NA stuff could give it a run for its money, but we just aren't foolish or naive enough to start any of them… unlike Prince of Wolves… oh gosh the regret

N- We could probably go on and on about how horrific it was, but I'll instead direct you to our reviews: here (Nara) and here (Chantelle).



12 comments:

  1. It's weird that Prince of Wolves has a high rating on Goodreads... and yet many (if not most) of the top reviews are 1 or 2 stars. I'm not about to read it to find out how good (or bad) it is, though; I trust you guys when you say it's awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you're really curious you can always have a read of it- it's free on Amazon haha

      Delete
  2. Prince of Wolves was a DNF for me :) I don't think I made it to 5% on my Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I got about 5 chapters in and was like NOPE. So terrible...

      Delete
  3. Lol what an entertaining post, I loved it! I'd be keen for that Rainbow readathon, I haven't read anything from her lately but I'm really keen. Loved your answer for burning Harry Potter out of your brain so you can experience it again hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You should totally join! It's going to be heaps of fun :D I'm really looking forward to rereading all her books!
      There are quite a few books I'd like to erase so that I can experience them again. Like those ones with the massive twists- if we reread them now, we already know the twists, so I feel like it's not the same!

      Delete
  4. OMG HAHAHA I LOVE THIS POST! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    Thanks for sharing, ladies! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Mel! Part 2 should be going up at some point if we have the time :)

      Delete
  5. YAAAAAAAY <3 I think I agree with a lot of your choices, especially Attachments which I recently read and absolutely adored, as well as The House of Hades because OHGODS Leo and Nico I STILL CAN'T. HAHA anyway I think I'm anticipating the Ignite Me release the most for next year because I am seriously wondering who Juliette ends up with. And then Tahereh keeps posting all these teasers of sorts. EXCRUCIATING! I have yet to read Legend, but I am definitely getting to that someday ;) And thank you for warning off Prince of Wolves. I read that one too and it didn't make sense to me D: Oh and I like how you turned Lacarnum Inflamarae around! I'd definitely wanna go through Harry Potter all over again :> Great post Nara and Chantelle! You guys are so hilarious, and downright amazing for doing this one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOUSE OF HADES EEEEE! The fangirling for that book will never end haha.
      IGNITE MEEEEE! I really want her to end up with Warner. But that might change after reading Fracture Me...we'll see......
      lol POW is just the most terrible book. Really don't understand what people see in it.
      Thanks Jasmine, and also thanks for thinking up the survey! It's such a great idea!

      Delete
  6. You girls are hilarious <3
    Yes yes yes Nara, Partials definitely needs more hype! Chantelle, read it asap! ;D
    And Divergent is pretty over-hyped. I thought it was good; I gave it 4 stars, but it's definitely not THAT good to get this much hype.
    I also have to read Attachments. I ordered a "new" condition copy from an Amazon market seller, but they lied, it's totally not in new condition. It's more like good condition. I need to return it and buy another one. >___<
    And ahh, need to get to reading Prodigy! -runs off-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Partials is just so amazing :3
      Yeah, definitely agree. It was good, but not amazing.
      aww that sucks! It's still a good book though, so maybe sneakly read it and then return it? hahaha
      You haven't read Prodigy?! You should read it pretty soon seeing as though Champion is coming out :)

      Delete